Tuesday, October 6, 2026

The backup plan.....

 7:55 am - Tuesday - October 6th - LPG&RVR - 50° F, humidity 27%, cloud cover 1%, wind 7  mph out of the east......clear, blue, sunny skies today with a forecast high of 88° F.  On this date in 2018 TLE and I were in Jersey City, NJ.....




......at Liberty Harbor RV & Marina, right across the Hudson River from the World Trade Center, and just a hop skip and a jump from the Statue of Liberty.

Sorry for posting this missive so late Tuesday evening about Monday.  I had started to compose my blog at 7:55 am, but about 5 minutes later TLE advised the both kitchen sink drains were plugged.  I stopped what I was doing to check it out, and 2 hours later finally cleared the drain.  In the process, however, I accidently sheared off the shower drain where it enters the gray water tank....



.....so now we'll have to make a trip to ACE Hardware Wednesday to buy the replacement parts.  Ultimately, we were able to clear the sink drains by using our Shop Vac to blow air through the drains and pushing the blockage into the gray water tank.  If only we had tried that first....lol.  At any rate, that is the reason for my tardiness.  I'll go into more detail about the process we used to clear the drains, and how I broke the drain pipe for the shower, which has its own dedicated drain line completely separate from the kitchen sink drain pipe.

Anyway, back to Monday.  I began to take down the tool tables in the trailer in preparation for our departure between October 10th and 13th.  We're avoiding committing ourselves to a specific day, but just working a little each day to get to that point.  Since we are hauling everything back to TWW that we usually store here each winter, there will be NO room in the trailer for the Beetle.  Theoretically, this should make the organization of the trailer much easier, but we shall see what we shall see.  

I also spent a couple of hours attempting to replace the 7 pin RV plug which connects the trailer to the rear of the Newell.  You will recall that we had issues with the trailer lights on the way north last April, so after getting here, and verifying that the necessary power from the Newell was being transferred to the 7 pin cord I ordered a new cord intending to replace it just before we left in October.  I, rightfully, assumed the problem was with the cord, however, it turned out the problem was not with the 7 pin cord, but with the trailer wiring.  When I opened the junction box where the 7 pin cord connects with the various wires that connect to the brake lights, turn signals, running lights, and hazard lights I discovered that the yellow wire which controls the left turn signal had melted, and shorted out the other wires, as well as itself......


.....the yellow wire in the foreground is not the wire in question, and cannot be seen in this picture.  It became apparent pretty quickly that I do not have time to rewire the trailer right now.  Fortunately, as a backup plan, I purchased Bluetooth tail lights which require no cord.  TLE and I paired the two tail lights, which attach to the rear of the trailer via rare earth magnets, and then tested the turn signals, brake lights and hazards, and they all work as they should.  All we really need to do is get the trailer to TWW, where it will live out its life in a stationary position.  I may, or may not decide to rewire the trailer, but that is unlikely.  After working under the trailer for those two hours I was filthy, so took along, hot shower to wash off the filth.

TLE had me grill hamburgers on the Sea-B-Que to which she added a side of potato salad....she makes the best potato salad!  We watched most of Monday Night Football, before heading for slumberland.

Thank you for your patience, and for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment