Sunday, September 6, 2026

Four in a row.....

 5:54 am - Sunday - September 6th - LPG&RVR - 45° F, humidity 56%, cloud cover 70%, wind 13 mph out of the southwest.....cloudy today with a forecast high of 65° F.  On this date in 2014 TLE and I were serving as lighthouse docents at Cape Blanco, OR....

You can see a lit bulb, and one that is not....when one burns out the platform rotates to power up the standby bulb



....these are pictures of the amazing Fresnel Lens used to project a light beacon many miles out to sea.

TLE had volunteered to work for Kathie Smith (TLE shares the office job with her) so Kathie could attend a funeral down in Reno, so I had Saturday all to myself.  By 9 am I was watching NCAA College Football, and continued to do so throughout the day.  The temp at 8 am was around 38° F; too cold to do any work.  By 9 am it had warmed into the mid 40's so I began to reinstall the carpet, and wood trim around the toilet.  It took less than an hour....



....once that was done I pulled the throw rugs, shook them out, and then proceeded to sweep the entire coach free of the outdoor elements which had invaded our home over the past few days.  By 10 am I was done with my work for the day, and settled in to watch more college football.

TLE came home for her lunch break, and I returned to the Clubhouse with her to practice putting in preparation for the weekly putting contest.  Including Saturday (September 5th) there are just two Saturdays left to qualify for the final to be held on September 19th.  Every person who has placed first, or second during the summer in any given contest is eligible to putt on September 19th for the 2026 putting championship, and I had not yet been 'in the money', so to speak (finished 1st, or 2nd).  I've made the putting final all four previous years, and in fact, last year (2025) I was in the money five times, but this year I kept falling just short, so I spent a good hour putting; something I haven't done this summer.

I returned home around 2 pm, to continue watching more college football, and then around 3:50 pm returned to the Clubhouse to see what the 'fates' had in store for me.  There were 22, or 24 putters on this Saturday, and through 6 rounds I had not lost.  I lost the 7th round after leading 1-0 through three holes, but my opponent had a hole in one on the 4th, and 5th holes to edge me out.  I then went to the losers bracket to win my next 3 matches and get to the final against the only guy who had beaten me.  He promptly holed out on holes 1 and 2 to go up 2-0, and my fate was sealed.  I made all my second putts on the remaining 3 holes, but so did he.  Nevertheless, I finished 'in the money' in second place, and have now qualified for the final in two weeks.....whew, that was close!  On this day I putted well, and did not beat myself.  I was beaten by a guy who made 4 hole in ones in four consecutive holes against me (4  & 5 in first match, and then 1 & 2 in the second match).  I putted the best I have putted this year, but just lost to a guy on fire for four holes.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment