Thursday, July 30, 2026

The real hazard.......

 5:50 am - Thursday - July 30th - LPG&RVR - 52° F, humidity 32%, cloud cover 3%, wind 14 mph out of the west by southwest.....crystal clear, blue, sunny skies today with a forecast high of 94° F.  On this date in 2012 TLE were in Long Beach, WA....



.....following the US-1 through the Olympic Peninsula.  The town claims to have the longest beach in the world, hence the sign, but I think the longest one is in Southeast Asia somewhere.

So far this summer I've only gone to work not wearing a sweatshirt once, or twice.  I thought Wednesday would be another of those days, but it wasn't warm enough.  I'm sure another of those mornings is coming as the temps climb slowly into the mid and high 90's.  So far there are no forecast daily highs in the 100's. I think the highest temp forecast for the next 10 days is around 97, or 98° F.  There's something about the temp being less than triple digits that is comforting.  I'm sure it is purely psychological.

Upon arriving at the Clubhouse Wednesday morning I still had those 5 carts leftover from Tuesday to wash/stow, but first I staged 5 Yamaha gassers thinking it would be enough for the entire day, and I was right.  We rented just 4 carts Wednesday.  Including members, who had their own carts, there were just 8 folks on the course Wednesday.  Certainly it was the slowest day since early May.

Once the 5 carts were washed, and stowed I made a round of the course to check the four sand traps finding no evidence of human habitation.  The last time they were raked was Sunday.  I've mentioned this before, but I will again.  The sand traps do not really come into play on our course.  The main hazards on our course are the very narrow fairways, and the mostly 'small', tabletop greens.  There is one real water hazard on the #3, par 3 hole where you hit over a pond, and there are several creek crossings (5 in all), but that's it.  Hitting the ball straight is paramount.

Upon returning to the Clubhouse I set four, or five sprinklers to water some dry areas, then did some string trimming around the 'Caddy Shack', then washed the six older, square nosed Club Cars so they can be rented over the next few days to get some 'run time'.  They've been sitting mostly unused for several weeks. 

Then it was time for TLE's lunch break.   Once I hit 12 pm I've only got 2 hours of work left outdoors in the heat.  The 90 minutes I spend in the office while TLE is lunching gives me a chance to recover from the heat before I make the final push from 1:30 to 3:30 pm.  By the time 3:30 pm came around 3 of the four Yamahas we rented had returned so I washed them, and then spent the rest of my shift watering, and moving sprinklers.  Thursday it will get to 94° F, but I'm ready for it.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment