6:36 am - Thursday - Octobrrrrr 5th - 37º F, humidity 83%, wind 6 mph out of the west.....partly cloudy.....forecast high for Livingston, MT is 54º F, and in Billings, MT (where we are headed to catch our plane) 60º F.......and in Riverside, CA (where we will be for the next four days) 90º F! The forecast high on Saturday, my son's wedding day, is 96º F......my body is in for some big adjusements!
After sitting in one place for the past 3.5 months it was time to change our view once again. As is always the case when we have been this long in one place I am always wondering if my machinery will function properly after such a long layover. Will the coach 'air up' as it should? Will the big Detroit Diesel 6v92 turn over and fire the first try? Will my speedometer still work (it has broken twice in the last six years, but I have been able to fix it each time)? This is a big deal for me since my cruise control relies upon a signal from the speedometer signal generator to function......no speedo, no cruise control. Anyway, those are just a few of the myriad of thoughts swirling through my mind as I wake up Wednesday morning. Intellectually I believe everything will work as it should, but I tend to be a 'waiting for the other shoe to drop' kind of guy.
There was not much left for me to do before we hauled anchor.....just basically take off the wheel covers, disconnect the utilities, then drop the trailer on our hitch.....if only it hadn't been soooo cold first thing in the morning.....23º F! We decided to wait until around 9:30 am to begin to work outside in an effort to avoid possible frost bite....😏 Well, everything went smoothly, and we were ready to fire up the Detroit by 11 am, and within 30 minutes we had the trailer connected to the Newell once again and on our way north. We left the VW out of the trailer (TLE drove it) as we were only traveling 52 miles to Livingston, and there is still a lot of organizing to be done in the trailer before it is ready for VW insertion.
After an uneventful 60 minute drive we arrived at the RV park in Livingston where we will leave the Newell until we return from SoCal. We will have 50 amp electrical service for the first time in almost 4 months......it will be wonderful not to have to manage our electrical consumption to avoid tripping the breaker. We did pretty good this summer only tripping the breaker 3 times. Now we can run all our electric heaters at the same time, and TLE can even use the hair dryer, or toaster oven without consequence.
Once we were set up and I had a few minutes to relax we got dressed and drove into town to do some 'junkin' and to donate two bags of clothing we had gleaned out of our closets and drawers.........
We got home just before 5 pm and began the task of getting packed for our 5 days trip to SoCal.....that pretty much took the rest of the evening......usually when we visit SoCal we have our closets with us so no difficult clothing decisions must be made.
Mindy, in the RV park office, told us that this cold weather in October is not the norm....usually the shoulder season in this part of Montana is quite pleasant with daily temps in the 60's and 70's......well it looks like this Octobrrrrr is going to be much, much colder!
Stay tuned for the wedding festivities which begin Friday......three of my siblings will also be in attendance so this will be a wonderful weekend of many hugs, and non-stop conversations.....YAY for our team!
Thanks for stopping by!