Sunday, June 3, 2018

Deere, deere, deere......

5:13 am - Sunday - June 3rd - Southwest Harbor, ME - 48º F, 70% humidity, wind 13 mph out of the north by northeast.....clear blue skies with a forecast high of 59º F....brrrr!

Saturday began quite humidly, but within an hour of reporting for work the wind freshened and the humidity was blown the wind!  I anticipated Saturday being another day like wise.  I expected Steven and I to go back to moving and edging, but Todd had other ideas for which I am grateful.  I needed an easy day.  Why?  Well, I was still recovering from our Cadillac Mountain hike on Wednesday.  We took care of our morning duties by doing site checks, then checking the wood box, which required no new wood as none had been sold.  Then we drove around the campground in the GMC pickup to gather all the trash.  As we were getting ready to drive over to the transfer station we noticed Todd was attempting to change the blown rear tire on the John Deere zero turn mower and offered to help.  Usually Todd would say 'no, I've got it', but he didn't.....instead he said 'I'm not sure....', which means 'Yes, I need help'.  We parked the truck and went inside the 'garage' to see how we could help.  These are like 10" tubeless tires and are very difficult to remove from the steel rim, and even more difficult to put back on the rim.  We ended up spending about 30 minutes wrestling with that new tire.  When we finally got it on the rim we were using all 6 of our hands, and 4 steel tire levers....I think there was some liquid soap involved at one point.  At any rate the new tire was installed, which meant we could get back to mowing the rather large grass areas, which if the grass got much taller would require the use of a hay baler, and not a lawn mower at some point.......

That was a booger!

......Steve and I headed over to the transfer station and were back a little after 10 am to pick up another load of old wood, two old BBQ's, and a bunch of old steel grill tops which had no further use.  We also retrieved the 5 five gallon gas cans to refill on our way home from the transfer station.  We were back at SDC by 10:50 am and since it was almost lunch time went ahead and punched the clock and headed for same.....a nice, easy morning of work!

After lunch it was back to our normal routine.....clean the men's and women's restrooms.  That took us to 2 pm at which time Steven headed for home as he had come in at 7 am to help Todd get the pool ready for the day.

For me it was a thorough tutorial on the operation of the our John Deere F687 zero steer riding lawnmower.  I have never operated one of these babies, but I have seen them in operation by others for years.  These things are not initially intuitive, but after about 20 minutes I had the hang of it and was off to mow the remaining grass (about 1 acre) out on the large grassy area which Todd had saved for me to do.  He had already mowed around all the obstacles around the perimeter of the grassy area so I would not have to worry (him either) about running into anything......

Finished....she looks good! all it took me about and hour and a half to finish mowing that last acre of grass, but by the time I finished (4 pm) I felt much more comfortable operating the F687.....and I was T.I.R.E.D!

I was home by 4:20 pm relaxing in my recliner and watching the latest PGA Tour event, and dozing off periodically.  Finally, about 6 pm I got up to take a shower as I needed to return at 7 pm to help TLE close the office, patrol the campground and close down the pool.  We were home by 8:15 pm, and I was in bed by 9:30 pm as I have to be at work at 7 am on Sunday to learn how to test the pool water and get the pool ready for the day....another step in my learning curve.

Thanks for stopping by!

When you shop Amazon, please use our link (below) to access their website.......we will appreciate every purchase you make using our Amazon Affiliate link, and  remember, using our link will not add one penny to your purchase, plus we will receive a small commission which helps defer the costs of producing this blog each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment