6:56 am - Thursday - August 27th - Klamath Falls, OR - 53° F, humidity 17%, cloud cover 29%, win 16 mph out of the southwest......partly cloudy today with a forecast high of 90° F. On this date in 2017 TLE and I were in Yellowstone National Park.....
The Yellowstone River
We had to ford Hellroaring Creek at one point getting our shoes wet
.....hiking the Hellroaring Creek Trail. In all we covered 11 miles that day on our way to 100 miles hiked in Yellowstone NP that summer, leaving just 10 miles to reach 100. By the end of the summer we had hiked 110 miles.
We were up before 7 am Wednesday. Why? Well we, intentionally, left the window blinds up when we went to bed Tuesday night so we could slowly awaken to the rising sun. By 6:40 am it gets quite bright in our room....
....we're on the 4th floor, which is the top floor, so we don't hear anyone walking above us, and no one can see inside our room, so we leave the blinds open all the time in order to enjoy the view for which we are paying extra. The water on the lake was glassy smooth Wednesday morning....
.....perfectly reflecting the sky and shoreline. After posting my latest missive we headed down stairs to have breakfast alfresco....
....we were the only ones having breakfast outside....I don't know why. Fairfield serves a pretty decent Continental Breakfast, and they have great coffee. The icing on the cake, at least for us, is the lakeside dining, and we had it all to ourselves.
An interesting observation about our room. As one might expect, each room has at least 2 fire sprinklers. The one in the bedroom is over 9 feet off the floor, and there is this little sticker next to it on the wall....
.....see it there, up high? Here is the sticker close up....
....warning you not to hang clothes from it....lol. As I said, it is over 9 feet off the floor, but someone at some time in the past must have tried to hang something from one of these sprinklers. I think you would need a step ladder to get up there.
Around 10 am we headed out to do some 'junking' and found a great thrift store called Treasures, A Unique Thrift Store....
....there are actually two stores at this location, one of which has strictly dinnerware, and glassware. The second store has everything else. We bought a few items there spending about $7, then headed over to the larger store where I found a pair of extra long mud boots for $12. These things usually cost, new, over $50. From there we headed to Sportsman's Warehouse so I could buy a new 'bucket' hat as I lost my Outdoor Research hat I've had for a couple of years. I'm hoping it shows up someday, but so far I cannot remember where I left it.....lol. And with that we were done with our shopping, and headed back to the hotel room to take naps, and read.
Around 5:10 pm we headed out for our anniversary dinner at J's Steakhouse on Sixth Street. Yelp gives them 4 out of 5 stars, so we were hoping for good fine dining experience....
....they offer outdoor dining, so we reserved an alfresco table. For our cocktails TLE ordered a dirty martini, and I a glass of Catena Malbec, one of my favorites. They brought bread and whipped butter to the table which were very good.....
.....for our entrees TLE ordered their Grilled Salmon, and I their Filet Mignon. Along with the entrees we both had dinner salads, which were great. So far, so good. Unfortunately, the entrees were underwhelming.....not bad, but not great either. The plating was not inspiring, both the salmon and filet were a little overdone, and the vegetables did not seem fresh. I deliberately did not take picture of the entrees. I will add, however, the baked potato I ordered was very good, also....
....so our quest for an above average fine dining eatery in Klamath Falls continues. We did enjoy the alfresco dining ambiance, that is until the flies arrived, then not so much. We were home just before 7 pm. I took a nap while TLE read, and then I read for a while before we called it an evening. Lesson: Life is a crapshoot, and in spite of your best efforts, you may not always get what you want. On the plus side, we still have each other after 55 years, and that is worth more than anything.
The Rolling Stones - You can't always get what you want
Thanks for stopping by!















No comments:
Post a Comment