Tuesday, January 10, 2023


 7:26 am - Tuesday - January 10th - GNHS - 51° F, humidity 60%, wind 6 mph (feels more like 15 mph) out of the southeast......partly cloudy today, and very breezy with winds getting into the 20's later today.  Forecast high is 71° F.  

On this date, 45 years ago now, in 1978 my father, Arthur Ray Hockwald, passed on, and 7 years later, on this same date in 1985, our daughter Sharon was born to us.....she was 9 weeks premature, and weighed in at just over 3 pounds.  She was in NICU (Neonatal ICU) at Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena, CA for 42 days before we were allowed to take her home.  We were warned that because she had been on pure oxygen for many days that she might be blind, and might be deaf.  As it turned out she suffered from neither of those forecasts, and has grown into a beautiful, healthy, intelligent woman, mother and wife.......↴

On Sharon's wedding day

......HAPPY BIRTHDAY Bunny, and miss you Dad every single day since you left us.....you would be turning 99 years old on our wedding anniversary this year...

.....I hope we have made you proud.

Well, I promised in my last post to write about Sunday when we got home from Poway Monday afternoon, but, apparently I am a big fat LIAR....lol.  Anyway, best intentions aside, this post will now be about Sunday and Monday.


Since we did not have to open the COA office Sunday morning, we chose to sleep in until almost 7 am.  I wrote my blog, and then got busy putting some clothing, etc. in an overnight bag.  TLE and I were in the VW heading to Poway by 9 am.  We took the route which takes us around the north end of the Salton Sea, down to Salton City, and through Borrego Springs (the way we came home last time), which is shorter (miles wise), is way more scenic, and has much less traffic.  We stopped off in Borrego Springs around 10:30 am for a bathroom break, then continued on our journey arriving in Poway around 12: 05 pm without incident.  Our first stop was Walmart, just around the corner from our hotel, where we parked the car, and then, since it was lunch time, decided to walk over to have lunch at Rubio's Coastal Grill, which is just a short block away from our hotel.....

....we dilly dallied over our lunch for about an hour before walking back to Walmart to buy a few things, then drove over to Lowe's, which is directly across the street from our hotel, to check out vinyl flooring options for the Newell.  We last redid the flooring in the Newell back in late October of 2013, so it has been 9 years.  By the time we picked out some flooring samples to take back to the Newell it was 2 pm, and time to drive across the street to our hotel to check-in.  We ended up being able to get the same room we had last time, which we loved.

Around 4:30 pm we walked back to the Walmart to buy two salads for dinner, and took them home to eat.  The entire walk over, buying the salads, and walking back took about 40 minutes.


Our dermatologist appointments were for 8:30 and 8:45 am, so we were up at 6 am, and out the door by 8 am to make the 10 minute drive to Palomar Health where Dr. Jou (pronounced jew) practices his craft.  TLE had no issues other than some sun damaged skin patches, but I had two spots of concern of which Dr. Jou biopsied to have tested.  He's pretty sure they're nothing to worry about, but likes to ere on the side of safety.  I'll hear from him some time next week if there are any concerns, and if there are make plans for a return trip some time later this month.

We were walking back to the VW at tad after 9 am, and after a quick stop to top off our fuel tank at COSTCO, we were on the road home by 9:20 am.  Once again our trip home through Ramona, San Ysidro, Ranchita, and Borrego Springs was uneventful.  We stopped off at Los Jilbertos Tacos, of course, in Borrego Springs around 11:40 am for lunch after descending Montezuma's Grade into town.......

The view from a turn out near the top of Montezuma's Grade

Borrego Springs in the distance

.....we covered the last 87 miles home in about 90 minutes arriving at GNHS around 1:30 pm.....the entire trip was without event.  The entire drive is very scenic, the road is excellent, and quite uncrowded....unlike I-8, which is a typically boring, crowded rural to urban Interstate, and it is about 20 miles further, although timewise it is faster.....I'll vote for scenic, uncrowded secondary roads every time.

We watched what I had hoped would an interesting, competitive National Championship NCAA football game between the Georgia Bulldogs and the TCU Horned Frogs, but it was anything, but that.  The final score of this sad game was 65-7 in favor of the Bulldogs, and it wasn't even really that close.  We tuned out about 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter when it was only 45-7.

Well, that's the last two days in the life of TLE and I....nothing very exciting, just the average life of Vagabonders Supreme.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.