Thursday, January 12, 2023

Not if, but when......

 7:37 am - Thursday - January 12th - GNHS - 45° F, humidity 64%, wind 1 mph out of the northwest.....mostly clear today with a forecast high of 69° F.  On this date in 2016 TLE and I were at the ARCO Travel Center in Salton City dumping 12 days of boondocking effluent from our tanks along with Michael, Linda and Steven.....we were all headed to the Indio Elks Lodge for two days before heading to Quartzite for the annual RV white tent sale extravaganza......↴

From left to right:  Michael Vaccari's RV, Steve and Linda Dempsey's RV, and our Newell

We had the COA office open just before 8 am, and our full day rental customers arrived shortly thereafter.  They were renting one of our 2 seater Kawasaki KRXs, and were on their way by 8:20 am.  Once we were sure they were moving in the right direction I moved the COA van to the rear of the Newell so we could unload one of the 8d batteries for the passenger side, and then over to the front of the Newell to unload the 8d battery for the driver side.  Once they were out of the van TLE helped me load each of them onto their respective trays so I could finish the installation by reconnecting the positive and negative cables to the appropriate terminals..... were all set on the chassis batteries for another 6-7 years.

When we were in Poway on Sunday we visited the Lowe's home improvement center across the street from our hotel.  One of the reasons I wanted to go there was to buy some white outdoor latex paint for the door trim of the COA office.  The original paint was almost gone, and it looked terrible.  I asked Cal (the owner of GNHS) if it was okay for me to paint the trim, and he gladly gave his permission, so Wednesday I decided to prep the door frame by scrapping away the old, flaky paint, then sanding it, and finally applying two coats of paint.....


After one coat

After 2 coats.....looks much better up I will paint the decorative woodwork above the door (the big 'X'). 

Our all day customers covered a lot of ground in about 5.5 hours, returning to the office sometime between 1 and 2 was their first time driving a side by side, and although they had a wonderful time, were ready to be done.  Once again, another satisfied customer, and no rescue needed.  How long will we go before we have another rescue?  It is inevitable, you know, so I don't think I'm jinxing anything by talking about it. After all, in this business, it is not a matter of if, but when, right?

While the KRX was quite dusty it did not require a water bath, so I just cleaned it using our air compressor, and a micro fiber towel....I was done with in 10 minutes, at which time I pulled the air filter to clean it, and then drove down to the fuel station to top off the 1/2 empty tank.  By the time I parked the KRX it was 2:30 pm....nice to be done early.

At 4 pm TLE and I walked down to the hot springs to take a soak.  It's been a while since I had a soak, and this time we chose the individual hot tubs in which to soak, and relax for about 40 minutes.  I managed to catch this beautiful sunset in the process.....

.....and thus came to an end another GNHS day in the SoCal desert.  I know from reading the local weather reports for California that just north of us from the Pomona Valley all the way to northern California they are getting deluged with heavy, continuous rainfall, and I'm happy for them as California has been in a severe drought for over a decade, but I'm glad we are just out of reach of those storms here at GNHS.....nice!

To close out this post I want to share a video I took the other night.....

.....I know, I know.....I do have a problem, but it makes me happy.

Thanks for stopping by!


  1. That was a milestone photo in my book, Clarke!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.