Friday, July 27, 2018

Old Guys in Golf Carts Working......

6:11 am - Friday - July 27th - Southwest Harbor, ME - 64º F, 100% humidity (once again), wind 1 mph out of the north by northwest......cloudy, foggy, muggy with a forecast high of 74º F.

For the first time since I was issued my 'foul weather gear' I wore both the jacket and the pants, as well as my rubber boots to work.  I walked over to the garage to pick up a golf cart and drove to work in a driving rain storm......not exactly how one might wish to begin their day.  But, as Todd often says, we work rain, or shine.....and that we did.   The wood must be restocked, the sites must be cleaned, the trash must be collected and the restrooms must be cleaned.

Friday was not the first work day which has begun with rain, but it is the first time it rained this hard for this long, nonetheless, I am getting used to it, and it really doesn't bother me that much anymore. Fortunately the 'foul weather gear' is very effective and keeps us all quite dry except for our hands and faces.  It was never really cold.....just wet.

After collecting 14 bundles of wood for our wood box we (Steven and I) helped Tammy clean sites until about 9:50 am when we turned our attention to the ubiquitous trash.....time to collect it all!  We had it all collected by 10:30 an were off to the transfer station to make our daily donation.  By the time we returned it was about 10:50 am and almost time for lunch.  We parked the truck, picked up our golf cart and proceeded down to the office to clock out.  TLE had left a pulled pork sandwich in the fridge for me made out of the leftovers from her lunch at Mainely Meat the other day.....delicious!

By the time we returned from lunch Tammy had finished the last of the 15 sites on the departure list, so she joined us in our daily cleaning of the restrooms.  With all the rain they were a mess, and it was helpful to have a 3rd person.  We finished them on time, and now it was 2 pm.  Steven went home at 2 pm, and Tammy at 3 pm.  Steven and I had not processed the returnables, and recyclables during our trash run, so I turned my attention to that.  I collected five 70 gallon trash bags full of these items, and delivered them to our recycling station up by the 'garage'.  There is quite a pile of bags there now, so I'm sure they will be loaded into the company trailer and hauled to the sorting center soon.

The rain had quit while we cleaned the bathrooms, but it was still too wet to do any string trimming, so I spent time sweeping out the 'garage', washing the golf carts, and picking up the 'toys' (basketballs, baseballs, bats, badminton rackets, birdies, volleyballs, etc.) around the playground, basketball, volleyball and badminton courts returning them to the large Rubbermaid toy box we keep in the playground area for just this purpose.

By this time it was almost 5 pm and time to end another work day at SDC......the office had been quite dead most of the afternoon, so TLE left Sam to man the office for the rest of the night and came home with me an hour early.  We had bought some chicken kabobs the day prior at Hannaford's in Ellsworth so I turned on the Sea-B-Que and grilled them.  TLE prepared a side salad, and some rice to accompany them.....outstanding!

We watched more episodes of 'Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee' laughing until we cried.  We loved the episode featuring Larry David (he and Jerry produced the sitcom 'Seinfeld' for 9 years).....he and Jerry Seinfeld were hilarious together.  I love laughing before I go to bed.  It kind of clears my head and makes it easy for me to fall asleep.

Thanks for stopping by!

When you shop Amazon, please use our link (below) to access their website.......we will appreciate every purchase you make using our Amazon Affiliate link, and  remember, using our link will not add one penny to your purchase, plus we will receive a small commission which helps defer the costs of producing this blog each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.