Sunday, December 31, 2023

What are the odds?

7:18 am - Sunday - December 31st - GNHS - 48° F. humidity 83%, wind 3 mph out of the east by southeast......partly cloudy today with a forecast high of 63° F.  On this date in 2015 TLE and I were boondocking at Ocotillo Wells with our kids, and good friends....that is the Newell in the red circle.....↴

For the first time in two winters we had 11 advance bookings, which is everything we have that is running.  We could have rented 12 if RZR #1 is we weren't waiting the near left rear axle.  We opened the office at 8 am, because we had a lot to do before our customers began to arrive. Whenever we get more than 5 units out in the field I get antsy.  The odds, in my mind, seem to go up exponentially with 11 units in the field that there will be a flat tire, something will break, or there will be an accident.  Ten of the RZRs were scheduled for full day rentals beginning at 9 am.  The worst case scenario would be that all nine customers would show up at the same time, but on this day they spaced their arrivals out so we were never under any pressure.  Our first customer arrived at 8:15 am, and the final arrived around 8:50 am, and with that we had the first 10 units out by 9:10 am.  We had one half day rental beginning at 10 am, and they arrived around 9:30 am, so by 10 am all 11 were gone, and our lot was empty.

Shortly after sending out the 10 am rental TLE and I took another of our 1 mile walks, and my knee was feeling so good that we averaged 3.2 mph.  That's the first time we've been over 3 mph since my knee injury a month ago....

.....we had one all day rental return at 11:15 am, so I washed that one, and then took an hour lunch.  Most of the rest of the day was spent standing around hoping we would get no rescue, or accident calls.  Just after our half day rental returned I washed that one, and then TLE and I took another of our 1 mile walks averaging 3.1 mph this time.  My knee feels the best it has felt in a month.  I took a picture from the top of the hill where we turn around...

....the final 9 of our rentals began drifting in around 4 pm, and by 4:30 pm they had all returned....WITHOUT INCIDENT!  What are the odds of that? We all breathed a collective sigh of relief, and got busy getting them all washed, fueled and staged for Sunday, because all 11 will be going out again....

Fueling the last of the RZRs

The lineup for Sunday

.....Saturday had to be one of the most satisfying rental days for us since we began this adventure last winter.  Needless to say, but I will say it anyway, our bosses were ecstatic.  I'm sure they were sitting up in Durango all day expecting one of 'those' calls all day telling them there was a rollover.  Stay tuned for Sunday's adventures!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.