Friday, October 19, 2012

Wax on, wax off.....

A few weeks ago while in a Super Walmart I bought some Turtlewax.  The can has been sitting in my storage cabinet staring back at me every time I opened the door.  Since Thursday was such a nice sunny day I decided it was time to start tackling a small section of the Newell at a time to get a good coat of wax on her for the winter.  I started on the top of the back cap and managed to get 1/4 of the back cap done.  I'll work on the second quarter Friday, and then knock the rest of the back cap Saturday.  Then I'll only have the drivers side, passenger side and front cap to go.....that is a lot of square footage.  I should be an award winning Karate Kid by then, huh?

The newly waxed rear cap

Apparently the wind was so strong Wednesday night that it blew out the water heater pilot light, but we didn't discover that until late afternoon when TLE was washing dishes.  I am always impressed with how long the water stays hot after I have turned off the pilot light for travel days.

After the wax on, wax off work I took care of a little "office work" and TLE went into town to do a little shopping.  By the time she returned it was near 2pm and time for me to do my "workout".  This was the fourth consecutive day I have done the workout, and the 6th in 8 days.  I'm down about 2.5 lbs since last Wednesday.  After Friday's workout I'll take 2 days off to give my muscles time to recoup, and then hit it hard again Monday.  

A little more Fall color showing itself

Next Tuesday is the beginning of our four 10 hour days.  Up until Thursday we had been picking in Building A exclusively.  There are three buildings in all (A, B & C).  Both TLE and I had gotten comfortable with finding our way around the 3 pick areas in Building A (P1A, P1B, and P5A), but on Thursday our supervisor "unlocked" us in the computer so "it" could send us wherever it wished.  Now the temperatures in Building A have been warm, and short pants and t-shirts were the order of the day, but suddenly my handheld scanner directed me to Pick area P4J (Pick area J, 4th level)  in building B late in the first half of my 5 hour shift.  I would say the temperature in Building B is at least 10-15 degrees cooler in places, if not more, and I spent most of the 2nd half of my shift wishing I had a long sleeve shirt on, especially when I was directly below some of the large air blowers pushing a high volume of cold air directly down on the area I was picking in.  Now that we are moving around it will be a little more difficult to decide what to wear as our work area assignments will be totally random now that we are "unlocked".  I was so glad I had brought my jacket to work for the walk home.  I even got a cup of hot coffee while I was waiting for TLE to make her way back to the break room at the end of our shift.

Well, tomorrow is Friday, and the end of our 4 days on, and next week the real test begins as we will be in the Amazon building 10 hours a day four days a week, then eventually 5 days a week as the Xmas season begins to ramp up.  For 4 days a week we will be essentially sleeping, eating and working.  Eight weeks to go in the 10 week marathon!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.