Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Other Side of Midnight

Sounds like one of those fake movie titles from Seinfeld, huh?  Having raised five children to adulthood I have often wondered what the other side of midnight is like.  All of my children, along with the rest of their generation, seem to believe that hitting the town after midnight is the way to go.  I have spent 99.9% of my life being awake on this side of midnight with the lone exception of New Year's Eve when we are often up after midnight for obvious reasons.  The world just seems smaller to me in pitch darkness.  My world, on this side of midnight, seems much bigger.  Now our time spent at Amazon on the other side of midnight seems much like any other day because the interior is lit up as if it were Noon in the middle of summer.  They have a great climate control system, and with a very few exceptions, the temperature is complimentary to the short pants/t-shirt weather I like.  It is often in the 30's on the other side of midnight, but there we are in t-shirts and shorts working away.  Sometimes I wear a tank top.  The only thing missing is flip flops, which, of course, would be very unsafe in that environment, but you know, I'd love to give it a!

Wednesday was another bitter cold day, although there was not a cloud in the sky.  A nice development was NO WIND!  I think it got into the low 40's during the day.  We went to bed Wednesday morning around 4:45am, but I only slept to 8:30.  I got up and did some work for a few hours, and then went back to bed for a couple of hours, and, as a result I was just off my feed again early in the first part of our shift.  Finally around 10:30pm I began to perk was probably that cup of coffee I had during break!

We had been hearing from our neighbors that due to Hurricane Sandy orders have slowed down, which is completely power, no internet.  People are trying to figure out where they are going to live, not what to order for Christmas.    Our neighbors were sent home after half a day yesterday, so we anticipated that we might go home early, too, and around 2am we were released due to lack of work available.  Frankly my feet needed a break.  Tuesday I developed 3 blisters....2 on my right foot, and 1 on my left.  I haven't had a blister on my feet in years, even with all the soccer officiating I did.  I am totally mystified, but the main issue is my feet were a little tender, and getting two hours off was what they needed.  I have been soaking them in Epsom Salts and that seems to be toughening them up.

We got home a little after 2am and watched a recorded show, soaked our feet, took showers, and then went to bed.  This time I slept much better....until 11am.  We'll see what Thursday brings as far as work.....we may have another short day.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.