Friday, April 8, 2016

Running man......

I ended yesterday's post with the wonderful news that the fumigators had arrived to take down the 'tent' draped over the house for the past 36 hours......they had everything off in less than 30 minutes, and a few minutes after that the house was once again habitable.  I went in immediately to deal with the 'BEEP, BEEP, BEEP'.  The particular detector going off for the past 36 hours was a combination smoke/co2 detector, so, therefore, the battery is not removable......uggggh!  As I read the instructions on the backside of the detector (one of those $50 ones) the way have you ever tried to read instructions with one of those things beeping in your ears?.......I could not figure out how to turn it off short of prying the cover off and breaking the battery connection.  I didn't want to damage, or destroy the detector, although I was sorely tempted, as it cost $50, but I thought if I did not silence it soon my ears would begin bleeding, so I pried it open and broke the batter connection.  Once I had the 'BEEP, BEEP, BEEP' silenced I was able to make sense of the directions which indicated you must 'peal off' the label upon which those very instructions are written to access the on/off switch using a flathead screwdriver.....doh!  After letting it sit for a couple of hours without beeping I decided to see if I could reconnect the lithium batter by soldering the broken contact, and was successful.  I turned the detector back on and ran the diagnostic test (push a large button and see the light flash, and get a few beeps) and all was well again, so I reinstalled it in the family room.

Rain was forecast for Thursday by noon, so we decided to take our walk around 11 am to beat the rain.  When we were about half way to the top it began to slightly sprinkle......TLE was about 10 yards behind me at this point and yelled out that if it began to rain she was reversing course.....she said not to look for her at the top, so I didn't.  I began to sprinkle a little harder as I crested the summit, and not wanting to get drenched I began to alternate running and walking as I descended.....I would run a couple hundred yards then walk a hundred......I was pleasantly surprised that I could keep that up all the way to the I pulled up beside the car (TLE was there waiting for me....she had made it to the top, but took the short way down beating me to the car) I checked my GPS to find the following numbers......

......I averaged 13.01 minutes per mile which translates to 4.6 mph average and walked the 3.4 miles in 43 minutes and 54 seconds shattering my previous walking record of 50 minutes and 28 seconds when I averaged 4.1 mph walking fast.  Back in the day when I was a professional soccer referee I did a lot of running and would typically run 4+ miles in a single game while being the center referee, but for the past 49 months I have done NO running.....only walking, hiking and bicycle riding.  My fitness is getting back to the point where I think I could begin to run again if I wish.....I'm no sure I 'wish' right now, but we'll see.  Just as I got to the car it began to rain in earnest and continued to on and off the rest of the day.

One piece of good news we got yesterday is we have been hired at the Haslet, TX  fulfillment center after all (along with our friends Mike and Lizzie), so our plans to be in Texas by November are intact, as well as our travel plans from that point forward.....YAY!!!

The Masters Golf Tournament began Thursday, and the television coverage began at noon, so just after we arrived back at the coach I turned on the coverage and essentially remained ensconced in front of the TV, or in the trailer with the TV on the rest of the day until the last putt on the 18th hole.....what a great way to spend a rainy afternoon!

We spent the evening listening to rain on the roof, and watching the 'American Idol' finale won by Trent Harmon.  This was the 15th and final season of this long running series.  We capped off the evening watching 'The Blacklist', which had been on hiatus for a month, or two.

Thanks for stopping by!


  1. We look forward to seeing y'all in Texas.

    Glenn, Laureen, Geoffrey and Katie


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.