Monday, March 20, 2023

Don't assume.....

 7:49 am - Monday - March 20th- GNHS - 55° F, humidity 63%, wind 2 mph out of the west by southwest.....cloudy today with a forecast high of 74° F.  On this date in 2015 TLE and I were boondocking at Lone Rock watching 'March Madness' games on the outdoor TV courtesy our solar panels, and 2000 watt inverter....not much has changed in the last 8 years.....↴

Whenver we assume a rental day will be easy because we have only a 2 hour rental, and a 4 hour rental we end up being wrong about 1/2 the time, and Sunday was one of those 'wrong' days.  We had two advance bookings Sunday.....a 2 hour  'Bat Cave' tour, and a 4 hour Pinnacles tour with both departing around 10 am.  They were both to middle aged women with children, so what could go wrong, right?

After getting our customers on their way I settled in to begin watching some March Madness.  Around 11:30 am we got a call from the 4 hour rental lady who had rented RZR #1 advising she had a check engine light.  I told her how to 'cure' it, and she was able to do so.  I told her to call back right away if the check engine light returned.  Within 10 minutes it had, so with TLE's help we located their satellite tracker....they were on the Canal Road out between Syphon 23 and 24....about 25 minutes away.  Since we had an extra RZR I loaded my tools and a drive belt into #4, and headed out.  I reached them in about 20 minutes. exchanged RZRs with them, and then got to work.  Within a few minutes I had the clutch housing removed, and found the problem.....the drive belt was about 5 minutes from breaking.  I removed the old belt, installed the new one, and replaced the clutch housing in about 20 minutes.  I was back at the COA office by 1:30 pm.....not too bad!

The bad drive belt

You may recall that I just replaced the drive belt on RZR #1 last Sunday....doh!  It appears we have another primary clutch which needs rebuilding, so it will be out of order for a few days until we can get the we are down to 3 working  Hopefully we'll get RZR #2 back from COYNE in a couple of days, and can get the primary rebuilt on #1 to get us back to 5 working UTVs by Thursday, because we'll need them.

On the 'March Madness' front, there was another upset Sunday.....#7 seed Michigan beet #2 seed Marquette 69-60.  There were a couple of other minor upsets, but that was the main one.  Overall, Sunday was a good day.  The rescue was probably the easiest one I have performed to date.  Can it be I'm getting better at it?  Only time will tell.

We've got about 9 days until we fly to Georgia, and when we get back on April 3rd we'll have 5 days to get ready to haul anchor for our travels north.  To be sure not too much is left to the last 5 days, as we'll be working some then, we're going to begin to break down our encampment Monday.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.